Monday, July 26, 2010

red pill or blue pill?

He is quick, thinking in clear images;
I am slow, thinking in broken images.

He becomes dull, trusting to his clear images;
I become sharp, mistrusting my broken images.

Trusting his images, he assumes their relevance;
Mistrusting my images, I question their relevance.

Assuming their relevance, he assumes the fact;
Questioning their relevance, I question their fact.

When the fact fails him, he questions his senses;
when the fact fails me, I approve my senses.

He continues quick and dull in his clear images;
I continue slow and sharp in my broken images.

He in a new confusion of his understanding;
I in a new understanding of my confusion.

- Robert Graves


Red pill or blue pill?





Blue pill is living in a narrative either you were fed or one you came up with--being able to believe whatever you want to believe, never questioning the assumptions of your faith.


Red pill is the knowledge that we derive meaning through internal narratives and not from an objective source. Make no mistake, we will continue to live through a narrative we've constructed, but we do it with the knowledge that ultimately, we derive meaning from narratives and not from a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment