Friday, October 15, 2010

life is like travel, people are important

If I were to die today, what would I think about as I die? I would think about the accomplishments I was able to achieve...to turn something from nothing. I traveled the world, learned a great deal, ate different kinds of cuisines, and so on. But then, I would think about my relationships with my family and friends. The friends who knew me well, who I laughed with, cried with, drank with...the people I experienced the highs and lows with. Me being able to be myself around them, to trust them, to confide in them, to reveal myself to them. The long talks...

When near death, most people reminisce about the experiences of deep connections they had with others--family, friends, and colleagues. It is the empathetic moments in one's life that are the most powerful memories and the experiences that comfort and give a sense of connection, participation, and meaning to one's sojourn.

Traveling is not so much about where you are traveling to, but who you are travelling with. It's the same with life. Life is not so much where you have been and where you are going, but who you are going with.

No comments:

Post a Comment